The Tempest, Act 3, scene 3, 1611
1. By'r lakin, I can go no further, sir;
2. My old bones ache: here's a maze trod indeed
3. Through forth-rights and meanders! By your patience,
4. I needs must rest me.
5. Old lord, I cannot blame thee,
6. Who am myself attach'd with weariness,
7. To the dulling of my spirits: sit down, and rest.
8. . . . he is drown'd
9. Whom thus we stray to find, and the sea mocks
10. Our frustrate search on land. Well, let him go.
11. [Aside to SEBASTIAN] I am right glad that he's so out of hope.
12. Do not, for one repulse, forego the purpose
13. That you resolved to effect.
14. [Aside to ANTONIO] The next advantage
15. Will we take throughly.
16. [Aside to SEBASTIAN] Let it be to-night;
17. For, now they are oppress'd with travel, they
18. Will not, nor cannot, use such vigilance
19. As when they are fresh.
. . . Enter PROSPERO above, invisible.
Enter several strange Shapes, bringing in a banquet;
. . . inviting the King, & c. to eat, they depart.
20. Give us kind keepers, heavens! What were these?
21. A living drollery. Now I will believe
22. That there are unicorns, that in Arabia
23. There is one tree, the phoenix' throne, one phoenix
24. At this hour reigning there.
25. I'll believe both;
26. And what does else want credit, come to me,
27. And I'll be sworn 'tis true: travellers ne'er did lie,
28. Though fools at home condemn 'em.
29. If in Naples
30. I should report this now, would they believe me?
31. If I should say, I saw such islanders--
32. For, certes, these are people of the island--
33. Who, though they are of monstrous shape, yet, note,
34. Their manners are more gentle-kind than of
35. Our human generation you shall find
36. Many, nay, almost any.
37. [Aside] Honest lord,
38. Thou hast said well; for some of you there present
39. Are worse than devils.
. . .
40. They vanish'd strangely.
41. No matter, since
42. They have left their viands behind; for we have stomachs.
43. Will't please you taste of what is here?
. . . Thunder and lightning. Enter ARIEL, like a harpy; claps his wings
upon the table; . . . the banquet vanishes.
44. You are three men of sin, . . . you 'mongst men
45. Being most unfit to live. . . .
ALONSO, SEBASTIAN & c. draw their swords
46. You fools! . . .
47. Your swords are now too massy for your strengths
48. . . . . you three
49. From Milan did supplant good Prospero;
50. Exposed unto the sea, which hath requit it,
51. Him and his innocent child: for which foul deed
52. The powers, delaying, not forgetting, have
53. Incensed the seas and shores, yea, all the creatures,
54. Against your peace. Thee of thy son, Alonso,
55. They have bereft; and do pronounce by me:
56. Lingering perdition, worse than any death
. . . He vanishes in thunder . .
57. Bravely the figure of this harpy hast thou
58. Perform'd, my Ariel; a grace it had, devouring:
59. . . . My high charms work
60. And these mine enemies are all knit up
61. In their distractions; they now are in my power; . . .
62. I' the name of something holy, sir, why stand you
63. In this strange stare?
64. O, it is monstrous, monstrous:
65. Methought the billows spoke and told me of it;
66. The winds did sing it to me, and the thunder,
67. That deep and dreadful organ-pipe, pronounced
68. The name of Prosper: it did bass my trespass.
69. Therefore my son i' the ooze is bedded, and
70. I'll seek him deeper than e'er plummet sounded
71. And with him there lie mudded.
72. But one fiend at a time,
73. I'll fight their legions o'er.
74. I'll be thy second.
Exeunt SEBASTIAN, and ANTONIO
75. All three of them are desperate: their great guilt,
76. Like poison given to work a great time after,
77. Now 'gins to bite the spirits. I do besecch you
78. That are of suppler joints, follow them swiftly
79. And hinder them from what this ecstasy
80. May provoke them to.
Shakespeare, William. The Tempest. The Complete Works of Shakespeare. Jeremy Hylton, n.d.. Web. 20 March 2016.
Which of the following lines BEST explain the cause for Gonzalo's and Alonso's weariness?