To My Very Good Friend, Robert Hayman
1. ‘Tis said, wise Socrates looked like an Ass;
2. Yet he with wondrous sapience filléd was;
3. So though our New Found Land look wild, savage,
4. She hath much wealth penned in her rusty Cage.
5. So have I seen a lean-cheeks, bare, and raggéd,
6. Who of his private thousands could have braggéd.
7. Indeed she now looks rude, untowardly;
8. She must be decked with neat husbandry.
9. So have I seen a plain, swarth, sluttish Joan
10. Look pretty, pert, and neat with good clothes on.
In line 6 “thousands” most likely enumerates